Supported Sitting Rolf Movement© Class
Location: Backway's Physical Therapy, 250 S McCormick St, Prescott, AZ 86303
Rolf Movement© is a somatic (of the body) movement modality that guides movement exploration and education to change the body’s relationship to gravity. This sensory-motor approach increases innate body intelligence, opening the connection to ground and space, giving opportunity for adaptation in movement choices. Movement habits occur when our perception (sensory information) and coordination (organization and sequencing) become fixed and these can often lead to pain and injury. In a Rolf Movement© class we explore the perception and coordination to create change in movement patterns resulting in reduced pain and tension, increasing ease of motion and flexibility, enhanced efficiency of body alignment and restored balance.
Supported sitting implies using a chair back to lean against when seated. In this class we use movement while seated on a chair to discover how the support can originate from within the structure of the body. Finding the foundation from the feet through the pelvis, up the vertebrae spine and balance the head and eyes on top. This wholistic ideology can reduce the possibility of sustaining or increasing a hernia, a bulging disk or sacroiliac/back pain. This class is for those who spend time sitting and are ready to find new ways to move and upgrade their quality of movement and therefore life experience. Participants are encouraged to wear comfortable clothing and ideally no shoes. Invest in your body and befriend gravity with Helen Goodrum of Artful Healthcare.
Somatic Restoration Through Movement
10 x 30 minute pre-recorded classes
Structured similar to the Rolfing® Ten Series, these classes guide movers to become more integrated in their bodies, befriend gravity, reduce pain, evolve movement, and trust & connect with their higher selves. Expect to strengthen your connection with yourself as we move together, bringing increased support to our nervous systems and integrating our mind – body connection.
- Session 1: Inhalation - Exploring the lungs and their connection to the heart and arms
- Session 2: Earth - Defining a relationship with the earth & greater proprioception with the placement of the legs
- Session 3: Elongation - Integrating the upper and lower girdles through the lateral side line
- Session 4: Innermost - Beginning the core cycle, creating freedom of the inner thigh from the pelvis
- Session 5: Viscera -Encouraging length in the lumbar spine, space to the abdomen and efficiency to the psoas muscle
- Session 6: Dorsal - Creating balance and space in the spine, reorganizing the sacrum to increase spinal undulation
- Session 7: Crown - Increase the mobility of the head and reestablish its connection to the neck and body
- Session 8: Foundations - Integrating rotational leg and pelvic movements to support us through space
- Session 9: Antennae - Understanding the sternoclavicular joint to increase arm and shoulder girdle stability
- Session 10: Integration - The experience of moving as a whole entire fluid body
Diaphragms: Bringing the Balance Back
1 hour pre-recorded Class
This class explores the horizontal structures of the human body and how they each effect one another in alignment. A great class for computer and office workers to educate yourself on your posture and how to begin to improve your posture while working. Linking the arches of the feet, with the palate of the mouth, and how the thoracic inlet, respiratory diaphragm and pelvic floor dance between. Recorded originally for the employees of Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre (CCDC) UK as a part of their wellness education.